Sunday, March 13, 2011

seven hues of spring

Attended the above event at PWTC with Juan Carlos & Celtic. It was a huge event…it really takes days to cover the hundreds of booths from the local & international suppliers that are on exhibit. We only went to 4 booths; our four top suppliers. The first and second supplier’s booth was fantastic & impressive. New items was launched, in a mix & match mode, they are basic & functional and trendy. It was encouraging. The third and fourth supplier's booth were only so-so. But the most important thing is letting Juan Carlos & Celtic to meet up with my suppliers and their respective Managing Directors & CEOs to build back the business relationship that have come to a standstill for the past 2 years. It is also about letting them to see for themselves the furniture industry in Malaysia, how the suppliers actually operate, the strength of our competitors & how fast ahead they are compare to us and the current market trends. I already have in mind on who is going to be my category captains based on their current financial & operation capacity, their knowledge & expertise, their future direction and their services. Now it’s all about consolidation, planning, development and execution.

I know that time is not on my side; I need to deliver the turnover results fast. As I climb up higher on this corporate ladder, every single movement of mine will be scrutinize, there will be people within my own division who will find fault on what I am trying to do, they will try to expose every single mistakes that I have made, they will try to turn my weaknesses into their advantage. There are just people out there who are envy of me and would love to bring me down. I don’t ask for all of this. I work my way up through rank & file; with my own effort, with GOD’s blessings and a bit of luck; therefore, I landed where I am today. Seriously, I will not be able to get hold of this portfolio, if Patrick had not resign. There must be a reason why Snow Petrol chose me to take on this. I would love to tell them, please deliver the results of your own department first before interfering in mine. If you think you can do a better job than me, please show it to me with your own action plans & figures, don’t just tease, gossip and back-stab from behind. Great people talk about ideas. Only small people talk about other people. And it got me thinking back of all the people in my previous work life that had made my life hell, and in return made me a stronger, tougher and more knowledgeable person. And that then gave me the confidence I had in what I did for many years to come and today, I can still not to take things too seriously, continue to do my work with passion & sincerity, ready to serve at all times and remain radiant, collected & fine.

But I really thank GOD that my figures are still healthy for now, as in positive every week that they can’t touch me yet. I know that Felix & Rufus are drooling for this portfolio and in particular Felix is not shy in telling everyone about it. I know of Felix's evil plan to combine furniture & bedding together. I know that it’s only a matter of time where everything changes. I thank GOD for all of my supplier’s strong support. They listen to me, they obey me, they protect me, they defend me, they praise me, they sayang me, they are willing to teach me, guide me, advice me and help me to bring back my business back on track.

I thank GOD for my store team as well. I couldn’t have done all of this on my own. My team was as determined as me to succeed. We had put in all of our effort week in & week out, and our category’s standing and the D31’s reputation is at stake. The team were motivated and prepared to sacrifice the comforts of their home to blaze a trail at the store level. It was a pure team work and dedication that made it through. Without a good team, no way would D31 be where it is today. I am very proud of them.


And of course, I thank GOD for Celtic. We are used to competing with each other and we still are but we have learned to put D31 above everything else. And I have to admit that Celtic is a good teacher. Celtic has kept me going…Celtic have continue to pushed me forward to this inevitable need for me to move on. Celtic has been cheering me forth and caught me when I fell...and for that I am so grateful.

Thank you GOD for your continuous blessings and giving me this opportunity to make a significant progress in my career. Being the opportunist that I am, knowing that I only live once, I decided to take on the challenge and ever since, it has been a manic, frantic chase down life's journey. And regardless of the direction that I will take in the future, the road is rough and bumpy. But it’s always beautiful and sunny at the end of the road. And knowing that YOU will continue to look after me :)

No comments: