Liverpool 0 - 2 Chelsea :(
We lost to a B Team.
Well...that's it...we can only secure the number 2 spot.
The EPL crown will be handed back to Manchester City.
Nonetheless, GREAT JOB to THE REDS.
This is by far the best season ever :)
Hmm…strange…I don’t know how Baldwin finally knew about Ursula’s Germany trip. When Ursula was away that week, Baldwin kept on asking me where was Ursula. I just told Baldwin that Ursula was on leave. I have no idea where she went. Now, I have no idea how Baldwin manage to find out. Did Ursula told Baldwin? Baldwin asks me what did Ursula got for me. I just said that Ursula only got me a box of chocolates. Baldwin replied back – that’s good. Ursula quite sayang you what…then I told Baldwin, I think Ursula got it for everyone as well. I am sure Shawn & Gerrard’s portion are even bigger than mine :)
Ursula: Who is your favorite supplier?
Ursula: Why not?
Me: Don’t see a reason to have one.
Of course, I have my very own favorite supplier…I just didn’t want to tell Ursula at that point of time :) Let her guess…by telling Ursula…what if she boycott against them or what if she cross-check things with them. I know…I have always said that it is very important for the bosses to know what is going on…even including those hanky-panky ones…but this is an exceptional case…let Ursula do some work here :) I have been very transparent with Ursula on many matters, so once in a while…I think its ok not to deliver everything to her on a silver platter. Besides, Ursula also called up to my supplier but also didn’t own it up to me…it was my supplier who informed me about this matter later on.
OMG – this Ursula…both Ursula & myself have 1 thing in common. The both of us are very lousy drivers, we are slow drivers as well and we don’t know how to park our cars properly. To solve this parking problem – Ursula’s solutions is to take the car to a jockey service or put it at the car wash. OMG!
I also kepo with Paige – how is Ursula actually like; as in person :) I hope Paige will not share this conversation of ours with Ursula...otherwise...I'm doomed :)
(1) Ursula do not have any favorite buyer but she trust Shawn a lot because the two of them shares the same wavelength and their working styles are very similar.
(2) Gerrard is Ursula’s dark star. Ursula is very scared if Gerrard is angry or upset with her. Ursula actually scared of offending Gerrard. Yet Ursula cannot touch Gerrard because Garrard performs very well on the job. Gerrard delivers & performs spectarcularly.
(3) Paige is not sure whether Christy has any issues with Ursula or not but for sure this Ursula has issues with Christy. Ursula has too many opinions on Christy.
(4) When I mention to Paige that Christy used to be Ursula’s pet where Ursula will do everything for Christy – Paige told me that is because Christy never do anything, so therefore Ursula have to step in and do everything on Christy's behalf. Once Ursula also ask Paige what is Christy actually doing…working so late everyday and coming in to work on every Saturday as Paige is also working so late and comes in on every Saturday as well. Ursula is very baffled...Christy spent so many hours in the office yet the work that Ursula have given to Christy is not being accomplished. Somemore, Ursula have to do Christy's work...so, what is Christy actually doing the whole day in the office then?
(5) Without me – Ursula can still hold the fort very well and still can survive it all.
(6) I told Paige that there are classic examples of previous case studies like in the case of Pietro – Paige’s only advise is – if really were to die – die honorably & grandly.
(7) Paige told me, to just be myself. The reason being is that I am very confused with Ursula. On one hand, Ursula said that I am not highly motivated to speak out, on another hand when I does voice out, she ask me not to menyampuk her pula.
(8) Ursula is very ambitious – she wants the GM position. Paige said that both Marcus & Ursula have the capability, both are very business-savvy, well versed in business management – however when it comes to people management, Marcus may have the upper hand compare to Ursula. And Paige also feels that every team members of the division will prefer Marcus over Ursula. Celtic have also pointed out that Marcus may be the most likely successor. Marcus has done the Homeware Department and currently leading the Textile Department. The General has also park the Promotion Team under Marcus as well.
(9) Paige also laugh that Ursula sometimes do things – also do the wrong one :)
(10) Paige feels that Ursula spoils her daughters too much. Maybe because Ursula doesn’t spend enough time with them, thus Ursula will spoil them with material stuffs to compensate them. Her daughters are like the mother while the actual mother is playing the daughter’s role. Paige feels that, if Ursula is having such a leadership style at home, at work, should be no difference at all.
I kepo with Paige on Thursday; over lunch @ Coffee Bean, asking Paige how is Sabrina currently doing. Since earlier on, Sabrina have mentioned to Paige that Sabrina gets the necessary help from Shawn but not from Gerrard in the hand-over process. Paige said that Sabrina has a very good offer previously, but since Sabrina is still around, that means that Sabrina did not take up the offer and decides to stay put after all.
Ursula brought out this topic – why is it so difficult to get the oil supplier to close the contract? Why it takes such a long time to create a new item code for the oil? I know that Ursula is talking about Christy – but I also terasa here because there is a double meaning to it – why am I so slow as well. Ursula knows what are my plans are, which target that I have identified to attack…but somehow…it was all talk…and no actions yet. I am just so clever to talk non-stop, but I am lousy at doing the actions part out. Sigh…nonetheless, I also told Ursula that there is one word to describe my current emotions right now…which is...GRATEFUL…because Ursula could have scold, yell, scream, chase after me for the many unfinished work…but she haven’t done anything yet…but I guess it will be anytime soon. Ursula also told me that she is thinking of when to over-write me. Should she do it or not? I know that...if Ursula does over-writes me...I am no longer be valuable in Ursula's eyes anymore...I will lost my market value for sure...I will be worthles and I will just be like Christy. A second Christy, as a matter of fact.
I was out with Ursula on last week Friday for a market survey. We went to Mydin USJ first, then finally head over to Sunway Pyramid to check out on the Popular Bookstore, Aeon and Daiso. So, on the way there – Ursula ask me whether I have a BF or not? I told Ursula – Boss, our relationship is not there yet, so I am not going to share the details with you at the moment. Ursula chuckle loudly and said – that means no lah. I answer back – if I say yes, you will ask me the second, the third & the fourth question, which I did not want to answer. If I am going to get married, no worries, I will give you my wedding card. This Ursula is so kepo.
I don’t want to feel pressured to get married or have kids if I don’t want to. What makes one person happy doesn’t make everyone happy. I think at this stage of my current situation right now – I won’t be surprise that I will choose to stay single and childless. Nonetheless, I will also choose to live a happy and fulfilled life. Do what feels right for me :)
Barack Obama is in town – the 44th President of the United States Of America – the first African American President. Obama becomes the first serving US president to visit KL since Lyndon Johnson in 1966.
Ursula asked me – is buying stocks worth a total of USD180K a lot? I know that amount is not coming from Shawn, Gerrard or Sabrina’s department. For sure, it comes from the Auto/DIY category. Probably, The General throws the question to Ursula or is questioning on Ursula's buying judgement. I hope Ursula is not in trouble with The General again. Even Barry pointed out that The General favors both Marcus & Leonardo very much. Because Barry is not being favored by The General, that is why Barry got the transfered. Celtic thinks that Marcus will be the next GM because The General has given Marcus opportunities after opportunities to perform in the division.
My answer stuns Ursula. I ask Ursula back – is your current stock level healthy? Is your current stock level correlate with the department sales? I told Ursula, looking at my current sales situation, my stock value should be at RM12 million or less, but now the stocks figures is stacking up to RM15 million which is not healthy at all. In the end, Ursula did not mention to me which department, only stated that everything is healthy and on the right track – then I mention, if that is the case – ok lah :) Celtic said, maybe this Ursula is testing me...whether I dare or not to answer her back and also to see how good I am in articulating my views.
Ursula also shared with me that the new in-coming CEO is most likely to look into our stock value, tackle the fresh department and re-manage the marketing department.
Ursula asked me on last week Friday – recently Baldwin has a self-funded panel ad in the newspaper, but why is Baldwin’s department sales still drop? I just shrug it off…I say I don’t know. Michel pointed out to me, the reason why Ursula always ask me such questions…is for me to learn to analyze…and once I know how to analyze…I will be able to come out with well-planned strategies and know what I want & how I want to move the department forward. Michel mentions to me that was how her mentor trains her in Singapore as well. Michel’s mentor has never taught her anything on the products. Only taught Michel on how to be a good human being. Ursula too. Ursula will occasionally ask me questions like why the Textile Department sales drop, how do you want your stationery area to look like, which department will be mostly likely to be affected first once the new CEO join us on board etc. Okay…for the next time, I will answer Ursula's questions more properly :)
I am not exactly sure on why Baldwin’s department sales drop…but for sure Baldwin’s answer will be that Baldwin cannot cope. Baldwin has mentioned to me several times that it is impossible for 1 person to manage 2 departments. Maybe Baldwin is correct, maybe Baldwin is wrong but I think Baldwin already have this perspective & mindset and in a way; directly or indirectly is holding Baldwin back.
Baldwin also told me that The General did not give Baldiwn any salary increment of taking over Madam Yap’s department…however, in this Clara’s case…Clara mention to me that The General has promised Clara that Clara’s salary will be adjusted upwards in the month of April on taking over Linda’s category. Hmm…sounds like, The General is being not very fair here to Baldwin and what’s more both Baldwin & Clara are under Marcus’s charge.
Latest gossips from one of Celtic’s external sources - Sabrina cannot stand the stress. Everything also Ursula controls. Everything the supplier passes over to Ursula; like bypassing Sabrina like that. Shawn and Gerrard is also not doing a proper handover for Sabrina. But I told Celtic – Sabrina can last very long in the department because Sabrina is such a kaki bodek – always make Ursula so happy every day – beaming from ear to ear. Not like me, I always say the wrong things. Like last week – The General question on my department's high stock value & high stock days. Ursula was running some report on behalf of me to answer back to The General. After reading the report – I just blurted out to Ursula – why dress a donkey as a horse? Ursula was stun with my remark. I mean, it’s a fact that my department has high stock value, let’s just admit it, let’s just give The General the action plan, what are we going to do next. Why go so far ahead in forecasting the coming months purchases and the sell through which is not even concrete and could be fluctuating. The General can read the numbers anyway. The numbers don't lie. No matter how we dress it up, high stock value means high stock value. Full stop. If I were the manager in charge, I just want to know what is the action plan to minimize the stock value for this month. I am doing clearance, I am expecting the clearance can reduce the stock value by this X amount. The BTS returning is still on-going. I am expecting that these returning can bring down the stock value by this Y amount. Sigh…I think Ursula is not very happy with my answers though :)
FULL-TIME: There’s the final whistle! It’s all over at Carrow Road. The final score is #NCFC 2 - 3 #LFC! Two goals from Raheem Sterling, either side of Luis Suarez’s calm finish, make it 11 league wins on the bounce for the Reds! Get in, Liverpool!
Bashes from Ursula >> Ursula have been mumbling a lot to me this week, in many directions, in all sorts of shapes & sizes. She feedback to me that I am a very smart person, I like to brainstorm, but I am not highly motivated to speak out. We work as a team, I should not be shy if I do pass on some work for Ursula to do. Ursula said that she will not bad-mouth me. She wants to do the indent part. Ursula felt that she deserves the Germany incentive trip. I need to be a marketer, don't focus so much on the products itself, but focus more on the business side of it. I'm very paper-oriented, once I'm done at the paper level, I will leave it as it is & I won't see or think further into the operations level or to look at the bigger picture of things. I am not people & business management enough. I am not fast enough for her, according to Ursula; its time for a hip-hop dance and not a waltz routine. I have so many ideas but I am slow in organizing, planning, implementing & executing them. I sweet talk a lot to pacify her. I don't walk my talk, no actions are being taken, like a tin kosong. I am having small imporvements but no big changes. Ursula told me not to think too much, just do it right now. Don't just look at the stationery items anymore, its time to explore other areas to provide better input into the category. Ursula mentions that when she is ready, she will kill me off. I am repeating myself all over again. No more bull-shitting. Don't simply guess anymore. Check before answering…where is she going with all of this...sigh...she notices everything...I am a bit lost here.
Is she having a confidence or assurance problem here? I thought I was the one facing such a dilemma. Seriously, with or without me, Ursula can drive this department all by herself. Even Paige acknowledges that. Ursula can also just kill me off like that. She can even put me in cold storage too. I will not be able to escape from there; unless I resign. Don’t ever underestimate this Ursula. She has this very strong inner strength inside of her. Just like Iron Butterfly.
THANK YOU GOD, PRAISE TO THE LORD, BLESS YOU GOD. GLORY TO GOD. GLORIFIED GOD. YOU ARE JESUS. YOU ARE LORD. YOU ARE GOD. YOU ARE MIGHTY TO SAVE…ME…AGAIN! I will continue to praise GOD for His mercies upon my life.
Neon Collections – import items. I am supposed to use the factor of 6 in the conversion calculation…I pandai pandai pula go and use the factor of 3.7. Never mind, these merchandise will come with a pre-price tag. So clever isn’t it. Selling below the cost price. At a negative margin. If the customers are nasty, they will insists on the packaging price tag and not the system price & the whole batch of stocks, I will be selling at a loss. Ursula & The General will kill me. How can I make such an asshole mistake? If the Chinese manufacturer cannot remove the old price sticker in time and replace with a new price sticker - I am officially doomed. My store team will have more work to do. They will have to re-stick the entire batch of goods with the new price sticker. But GOD is great – the incident was able to be rectify…the manufacturers could manage to re-print the new price label on time and were able to stick the stocks with the new price sticker too. And I also can update the new selling price in the HQ system. But I feel very ashamed of myself. On my carelessness. On my stupidity. On my defense system. When Ursula question me why I use such a low factor – I go and blame it on Leonardo pula...that Leonardo uses the factor of 3.5 – but in actual fact, Leonardo uses the 5.7 factor. I bowed my head low. I stood so low :( I think Ursula can also sense that I am pushing my responsibilities away and putting the blame on Leonardo…very bad yingze :( No more after this.
Double A – USJ store have a bulk buyer. 14 pallets altogether. I sell @ RM9.99. Follow the last weekend press ad price. Yes, its below cost; again. The email correspondence between the store team & myself – we did not make a cc copy to Ursula as she was in Germany at that time. The store makes the price change by themselves when the customer makes the payment. Rupa-rupanya, we are not allowed to do bulk selling…this whole issue went all the way up to the French Finance Director, The General & the Audit Department. Ursula is so clever…she said that she is not around and she is not aware regarding this matter. I sort of like know and don’t know that we cannot do the bulk selling. But, it’s also that I was greedy at that point of time and I wanted to close the month of March in a positive note but with this transaction, also tak jadi. Of course, again…and as usual…I apologize profusely to Ursula. I also pour out this problem of mine to Celtic & Baldwin. The both of them also are not aware that we cannot bulk sell. But I think Baldwin is genuinely not aware about it. I am doubtful of Celtic. I think Celtic is fully aware about it. Again, Ursula is not going to trust me after this.
I don’t care whether Ursula trusts me after this or not…most importantly what is wrong have been right. That is what matter the most. Is only by HIS GRACE.
For it is by GRACE you have been saved, through FAITH — and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of GOD — not by works, so that no one can boast - Ephesians 2:8-9
Hmm…I am wondering...if this Ursula can shared with me what strategies that Shawn currently employs, how Gerrard overcome a particular difficult or challenging situation or suppliers, example of business inputs from Shawn & Gerrard’s department, each of Shawn, Gerrard, Christy & Sabrina’s strengths and weaknesses…that means this Ursula, whether directly or indirectly also shares my way of doing things & my character or behaviour with them. OMG! Some more this Ursula also knows that I hardly mix around with them, therefore all of us cannot cross-check on anything. So, whatever I am doing at the moment; whether it's right or wrong - they will know. OMG! I am also very sure, that this Ursula will also ask them for any new ideas on how to further improve the Stationery Portfolio or what it is lacking off.
I am very grateful that Ursula provides me with a lot of examples and inputs based on her experience. Not all of it can be applicable to the Stationery Department though. I also try to fit in the stationery business model into the furniture, luggage, toys, outdoor business perspective…hopefully, with a little bit of fine-tuning, Ursula & I can get the momentum right. Because at the moment, I think that the both of us really have no idea on how to run the stationery business correctly, we are clueless on where to attack & to defend. There is no good example around for us to refer to. Even after the implementation of Phase 1, Phase 2 & Phase 3 that we are currently doing – the impact is still not there yet. It's very minimal. Ursula wants the WOW factor. I can also see that Ursula is already getting very impatient and annoyed…with me…because Ursula feels...if Ursula can do such a nice story line or display for the Appliance and Auto/DIY section – why can’t she do it for the Stationery Department then? Sigh…this raging red bull is charging towards me very fast. Ursula is going to come after me soon; anytime now. I will be a piece of dead meat.
Ursula wants Shawn, Christy and myself to visit our Batu Caves & Kelana Jaya store with her. I ask to be excuse because I have a supplier appointment on the same day. But this Ursula sarcastically replied back to me, that actually I don’t have to visit the Batu Caves store because my department is growing positive after the refurbishment :( Nonetheless, I am very thankful to GOD for this optimistic sign, for this encouraging blessing. But Ursula also told me off to visit the Kelana Jaya store on my own, on my own free time. Again, it’s not that I don’t want to be a team player here – the timing is always off key :) But Ursula also insists that we must walk the store together. I straight away tell her that I am not ready for it yet. Ursula replied back that she knows about it :( Cannot hide things from her…
Hahaha…I think Ursula is very fond of Shawn, Gerrard & Sabrina. Ursula also loves her Auto/DIY department very much but is personally discriminating on Christy. Ursula told me the other day, before she left for her Germany trip, she wrote a very sarcastic email to Christy…by hook or by crook that Christy must ensure that Christy needs to get back the 2014 contract from the oil supplier…but Christy still did not manage to get it back. Then, Ursula was explaining some new concepts & leaflet layouts to Christy, but according to Ursula; Christy still doesn’t get the idea.
As for me – I think Ursula also don’t know where she wants to place me. Don’t forget, if The General’s employment contract is expired & not to be renewed further, that means that there will be a new boss on board. When there is a new boss on board, then there is a possibility that the new boss might want to revert back to the old reporting structure. I think with this in mind, Ursula also doesn’t want herself to get involve in the Stationery Department too much. As long as the Stationery Department’s heartbeat is beating as usual and with a little bit of positive progress here & there, don’t get involved in any big troubles or major problems…I think Ursula is already happy with it. The fate of an abandon child is always like that. It gets worst if it’s in the corporate world :(
PLUS POINTS :
1) Action oriented
3) Wants to win
4) Does not like to be left out of the loop
5) Does not like to be left behind in new happenings / development
6) Highly energized
7) Motivated and can be highly charged up
8) Productivity driven
9) Result oriented
3) Overzealous and can be inconsiderate
4) Can become easily de-motivated
5) May not be a team player
6) Not necessarily independent and can be over reliant on another partner / individual
7) Can be influenced
8) May be over reliant on a leader; formal or informal
9) Direction may not be entirely right if not guided
10) Tends to regret
11) Can react negatively / aggressively if things do not go as wished
12) Potential to engage on unhealthy tactics just to win
13) May go head on against the wall and takes time to recover
14) Often one way vision without contingency plans
Aiyo...so spot on...I have more bad points than the good ones...no...no...I have to learn to capitalize on my strengths and work on mimizing on my weaknesses :)
Last year (13th – 14th September 2013), our team has our team building activities at Tanah Aina Resort; located in Raub, Pahang. So for this week, it was Team Grocery's turn to participate. The General have also requested the participation of Marcus, Leonardo, Ursula & Paige as well. Ursula has shared with me that for this time around – the training program will be focusing on the FISH philosophy which I will share later on. Today, I am going to touch on the program that we have learned last year which is – Who Moved My Cheese?
Allegorically, Who Moved My Cheese? features four characters: two mice, Sniff and Scurry, and two little people, miniature humans in essence, Hem and Haw. They live in a maze, a representation of one's environment, and look for cheese, representative of happiness and success. Initially without the cheese, each group, the mice and the humans, are paired off and traveled the lengthy corridors searching for the cheese. One day, both groups happen upon a cheese-filled corridor at Cheese Station C. Content with their find, the humans establish routines around their daily intake of cheese, slowly becoming arrogant in the process.
One day, Sniff and Scurry arrive at the Cheese Station C to find no cheese left, but they are not surprised. Noticing that the cheese supply is dwindling, they have mentally prepared beforehand for the arduous but inevitable task of finding more cheese. Leaving Cheese Station C behind, they begin their hunt for new cheese together. Later that day, Hem and Haw arrive at Cheese Station C only to find the same thing, no cheese. Angered and annoyed, Hem demands, "Who moved my cheese?" The humans have counted on the cheese supply to be constant, and so are unprepared for this eventuality. After deciding that the cheese is indeed gone, they get angry at the unfairness of the situation and both go home starved. Returning the next day, Hem and Haw find the same cheese-less place. Starting to realize the situation at hand, Haw thinks of a search for new cheese. But Hem is dead set in his victimized mindset and dismisses the proposal.
Meanwhile, Sniff and Scurry have found Cheese Station N, new cheese. Back at Cheese Station C, Hem and Haw are affected by their lack of cheese and blame each other for their problem. Hoping to change, Haw again proposes a search for new cheese. However, Hem is comforted by his old routine and is frightened about the unknown. He knocks the idea again. After a while of being in denial, the humans remain without cheese. One day, having discovered his debilitating fears, Haw begins to chuckle at the situation and stops taking himself so seriously. Realizing he should simply move on, Haw enters the maze, but not before chiseling "If You Do Not Change, You Can Become Extinct" on the wall of Cheese Station C for his friend to ponder.
Still fearful of his trek, Haw jots down "What Would You Do If You Weren't Afraid?" on the wall and, after thinking about that, he begins his venture. Still plagued with worry (perhaps he has waited too long to begin his search...), Haw finds some bits of cheese that nourishes him and he is able to continue his search. Haw realizes that the cheese has not suddenly vanished, but has dwindled from continual eating. After a stop at an empty cheese station, Haw begins worrying about the unknown again. Brushing aside his fears, Haw's new mindset allows him to again enjoy life. He has even begun to smile again! He is realizing that "When you move beyond your fear, you feel free." After another empty cheese station, Haw decides to go back for Hem with the few bits of new cheese that he has managed to find.
Uncompromising, Hem refuses the new cheese, to his friend's disappointment. With knowledge learned along the way, Haw heads back into the maze. Getting deeper into the maze, inspired by bits of new cheese here and there, Haw leaves a trail of writings on the wall ("The Handwriting On the Wall"). These clarify his own thinking and give him hope that his friend will find aid in them during his search for new cheese. Still traveling, Haw one day comes across Cheese Station N, abundant with cheese, including some varieties that are strange to him, and he realizes that he has found what he is looking for. After eating, Haw reflects on his experience. He ponders a return to see his old friend. But Haw decides to let Hem find his own way. Finding the largest wall in the Cheese Station N, he writes:
They Keep Moving The Cheese Anticipate Change
Get Ready For The Cheese To Move Monitor Change
Smell The Cheese Often So You Know When It Is Getting Old Adapt To Change Quickly
The Quicker You Let Go Of Old Cheese, The Sooner You Can Enjoy New Cheese Change
Move With The Cheese Enjoy Change!
Savor The Adventure And Enjoy The Taste Of New Cheese! Be Ready To Change Quickly And Enjoy It Again
They Keep Moving The Cheese.
Cautious from past experience, Haw now inspects Cheese Station N daily and explores different parts of the maze regularly to prevent any complacency from setting in. After hearing movement in the maze one day, Haw realizes that someone is approaching the station. Unsure, Haw hopes that it is his friend Hem who has found the way.
Liverpool 3 - 2 Manchester City :) Yay!
The Reds must win all the way from now on. They cannot afford to drop any more points, not even a single point. We must beat Chelsea. Both Chelsea & Manchester City must drop points in their coming games. We must remain calm. OMG - I am so super duper excited about all of this :) Only left 4 more matches to go. Our first title since 1990? Go Reds! YNWA!
He should have a more honorable death.
A LEGEND. Malaysia has lost her most patriotic sons.
It is such a sad year for Malaysia – the haze, the on-going water rationing, MH370, the abductions in Sabah...
We agree to disagree, we disagree to agree.
You know what…I am going to continue to learn, unlearn and relearn. I am not going to do the same thing each time and expecting different results altogether. I am going to break down this stubborn wall of mine. I am going to be open and to try. I will listen to understand, and not listen to reply back. I am seeing how this Ursula is working in me to be a better person. THANK YOU GOD, PRAISE TO THE LORD, BLESS YOU GOD…she is really working on building & molding on my character. According to Ursula, I need to work on activities that create sales, I need to focus on tasks that brings in the money…others are secondary. I don’t want to be like Christy. And I think I am also heading that way right now, if I don’t wake up.
Ursula >> she is a firm believer of indent. She finds local outright suppliers are not that loyal, will probably supply the same merchandise to our competitors. Ursula anticipate that as the local retail competition gets stiffer in the future, sales will be hard to come by, therefore, it will be good to go after the profits. To take the first step, always indent the local supplier’s fast moving items first; for sure it will not go wrong. Thereafter, only move to other fancy categories to try on.
Me >> I’m also a firm believer of indent too. However, it’s only applicable to certain categories. Air mattress? Yes. Camping? Yes. Stationery? Our local suppliers are very strong, indent should be coming in on a promotion basis. Whereas for non-core categories – it’s better to outsource to the specialize suppliers to get the job done. I provide the space, the suppliers carry the stocks, if it doesn’t work out, I don’t have to write them off, the supplier will take the returns.
We take note of each other concern. We want to improve the department. But for sure, I will voice up if I feel uncomfortable. Of course, at the end of the day, Ursula is the final and dominant decision-maker. I voice up not to protest, but to show that I can analyze the situations, I can think things through, I can anticipate the consequences (whther it's good or bad), I can manage if any problems arises. At least, Ursula is being pre-informed earlier.
I told Ursula on last week Friday that I am not lazy. I am reluctant. She said that she knows about it. I am reluctant because, once I have taken the very first step, I know that there will be many work for me to do…and my plate is already full currently. I am already breathless and speechless everyday. I can’t cope. Again, I will try. Prioritize my work. Delegate. Do the stuffs that bring in the money!
What would I do without your smart mouth
Drawing me in, and you kicking me out
Got my head spinning, no kidding, I can't pin you down
What's going on in that beautiful mind
I'm on your magical mystery ride
And I'm so dizzy, don't know what hit me, but I'll be alright
My head's underwater
But I'm breathing fire
You're crazy and I'm out of my mind
'Cause all of me
Loves all of you
Love your curves and all your edges
All your perfect imperfections
Give your all to me
I'll give my all to you
You're my end and my beginning
Even when I lose I'm winning
Cause I give you all of me
And you give me all of you, oh
How many times do I have to tell you
Even when you're crying you're beautiful too
The world is beating you down, I'm around through every mood
You're my downfall, you're my muse
My worst distraction, my rhythm and blues
I can't stop singing, it's ringing in my head for you
My head's underwater
But I'm breathing fine
You're crazy and I'm out of my mind
'Cause all of me
Loves all of you
Love your curves and all your edges
All your perfect imperfections
Give your all to me
I'll give my all to you
You're my end and my beginning
Even when I lose I'm winning
Cause I give you all of me
And you give me all of you, oh
Give me all of you
Cards on the table, we're both showing hearts
Risking it all, though it's hard
Cause all of me
Loves all of you
Love your curves and all your edges
All your perfect imperfections
Give your all to me
I'll give my all to you
You're my end and my beginning
Even when I lose I'm winning
Cause I give you all of me
And you give me all of you
I give you all of me
And you give me all of you, ohh
:( I have been under Ursula’s charge for 6 months now. Ursula said that she is coming. Meaning that, her actual character will start to surface very soon. She will no longer play nice with me. She will start to be more demanding, more pushy, more bossy, more evil. Noted. I got her message loud & clear. Yes, I know that I need to speed up on my work, work smarter, prioritize well. I am okay if I fall short. Just like the fact that I am okay that I am indeed a big kid. It’s the truth. I don’t feel guilty about it. I don’t feel embarrassed of it. I am not ashamed of it. I admit it. You know what…from today onwards; I am just going to practice gratitude, praise to the LORD everyday, to acknowledge and to celebrate the good things in my life as they happen. Enjoy the moment and silence the skeptics within. I will let go of what people think of me. I will let go of perfection. I will let go of numbing & powerlessness. I will let go of scarcity & the fear of the dark. I will let go of the need for certainty. I will let go of comparison. I will let go of exhaustion as a status symbol & productivity as self-worth. I will let go of anxiety as a lifestyle. I will let go of self-doubt & ‘supposed to’. I will let go of being cool & ‘always in control’. Most importantly, is to practice the 10 points of what I should do in my 30s :)
:( Ursula said that I lack imagination…yeah, I agree with her. My many years in the retail industry, doing the same repetitive thing every day with the same people who taught me, with the same people who thought the same thoughts every day had indeed filled my cup to the brim. Additionally, my business acumen has never been a second nature to me as well. Therefore, I will always have to work harder compare to the other people. I don’t deny that it might have hindered me to move further, to think deeper, to look at the bigger picture of things. I began to realize that the sterile world that I had grown accustomed to have dulled my creativity and limited my vision. So, I need to change, to think outside of the box, to be bold & courageous enough to step out, to look at things from a macro perspective for a change, to try to stay open to the experience & fluid as a person and to invest in myself because investing in yourself is the best investment that you will ever make.
Advise from Philippe Schaus; Chairman & Chief Executive of DFS Group to young managers:
Take your time. Nobody expects you to bring in major changes, major ideas. You are not here to change something; you are here to learn. There is only one mistake you can make; which is moving too fast.
FULL-TIME: It's all over at Upton Park and the final score is #WHU 1 - 2 #LFC! A brace of penalties from the calmest man in the whole stadium; the brilliant Steven Gerrard, it means that Liverpool move back to the top of the Barclays Premier League table tonight :)
(1) Start saving for retirement now, not later >> start making the big financial push. Save, invest, accumulate. Make it your top priority to pay down all of your debts as soon as possible. Keep an emergency fund. Stash away a portion of every paycheck into a saving account. Don’t spend frivolously. Don’t invest in anything that you don’t understand. Save early and save as much as possible.
(2) Start taking care of your health now, not later >> have more personal discipline. Sleep more. Wake up earlier. Cut down on the junk food. Drink moderately. Exercise a little. Read more. Be more punctual. Be more organized. Smile every day. Time to slow down that breakage.
(3) Don’t spend time with people who don’t treat you well >> learn how to say NO to people, activities and obligations that don’t bring value to your life. Gently let go of those who are not making your life better. Enforce stronger boundaries in your lives and dedicate your time to better people. Setting healthy boundaries is one of the most loving things that you can do for yourself or for another person. Don’t tolerate people who don’t treat you well. Period. Don’t tolerate them for financial reasons. Don’t tolerate them for emotional reasons. Don’t tolerate them for convenience sake. Don’t settle for mediocre friends, jobs, love, relationships and life. Stay away from miserable people…they will consume you, drain you. Surround yourself and only date people that make you a better version of yourself, that bring out your best parts, love and accept you for who you are. When we’re in our 20s, the world is so open to opportunities and we’re so short on experiences that we cling to the people that we meet, even if they’ve done nothing to earn our clingage. But by our 30s we’ve learned that good relationships are hard to come by, that there’s no shortage of people to meet and friends to be made, and that there’s no reason to waste our time with people who don’t help us on our life’s path.
(4) Be good to the people you care about >> make the time for those friends and family that we do decide to keep close. Appreciate those that are close to you. You can get money back and jobs back, but you can never get time back. Tragedy happens in everyone’s life, everyone’s circle of family and friends. Be the person that others can count on when it does. I think that between the 30s and the 40s is the decade when a lot of shit finally starts to happen that you might have thought never would happen to you or those you love. Parents die, spouses die, babies are still-born, friends get divorced, spouses cheat…the list goes on and on. Helping someone through these times by simply being there, listening and not judging is an honor and will deepen your relationships in ways you probably can’t yet imagine.
(5) You can’t have everything. Focus on doing a few things really well >> everything in life is a trade-off. You give up one thing to get another and you can’t have it all. Accept that. Focus. You can simply get more done in your life if you focus on one thing and do it really well. Focus more. You have to accept that you cannot do everything. It’s better to focus on our primary strengths and maximize them over the course of our lifetime, work around our weaknesses than to half-ass something else.
(6) Don’t be afraid of taking risks, you can still change >> While by the age of 30s, most feel that they should have their career dialed in, it is never too late to reset. The individuals that I have seen with the biggest regrets during this decade are those that stay in something that they know are not right. It is such an easy decade to have the days turns to weeks to years, only to wake up at the 40s with a mid-life crisis for not taking action on a problem that they were aware of 10 years prior but failed to act on it. Biggest regrets that people have are almost exclusively things that they did *not* do. Live your life, don’t let it live you. Don’t be afraid of tearing it all down if you have to, you have the power to build it all back up again. Less fear. Less fear. Less fear.
(7) You must continue to grow and develop yourself >> one must continue to work to improve and to grow. The number one goal should be to try to become a better person, partner, parent, friend, colleague etc — in other words to grow as an individual. Live life with more passion. Get excited about what’s ahead every day. Stop lazing in bed on weekends. Get up and check out the nooks and crannies in your own country!
(8) Nobody (still) knows what they’re doing, get used to it >> stop assuming you can plan far ahead, stop obsessing about what is happening right now because it will change anyway, and get over the control issue about your life’s direction. Fortunately, because this is true, you can take even more chances and not lose anything; you cannot lose what you never had. Besides, most feelings of loss are in your mind anyway – few matter in the long term. Most of what you think is important now will seem to be unimportant in 10 or 20 years time and that’s OK. That’s called growth. Just try to remember to not take yourself so seriously all the time and be open to it. It’s truly liberating once you grasp the truth that things are always changing. To finish, there might be times that are really sad. Don’t dull the pain or avoid it. Sorrow is part of everyone’s lifetime and the consequence of an open and passionate heart. Honor that. Above all, be kind to yourself and others, it’s such a brilliant and beautiful ride and keeps on getting better.
(9) Invest in your family; it’s worth it >> spend more time with your folks. It’s a different relationship when you’re an adult and it’s up to you on how you redefine your interactions. They are always going to see you as their kids until the moment you can make them see you as your own man. Everyone gets old. Everyone dies. Take advantage of the time you have left to set things right and enjoy your family.
(10) Be kind to yourself, respect yourself >> be a little selfish and do something for yourself every day, something different once a month and something spectacular every year. Life is hard, so learn to love yourself now, it’s harder to learn later. Don’t sweat on the small stuff; and it’s almost all the small stuff anyway. When confronted with a perceived problem, ask yourself, ‘Is this going to matter in five years, ten years?’ If not, dwell on it for a few minutes, then let it go.
When is this water rationing going to end? No doubt, THANK YOU GOD, PRAISE TO THE LORD, BLESS YOU GOD – that the Shah Alam area is not as critical as other places where their water supply have been totally cut out for weeks, the people have to wait for the water tanks to come, the rakyat have to climb up to their apartments with buckets of water etc…but please GOD, let this water rationing to be end soon, let there be sufficient rain throughout the entire year, let the dams be fill up with water to the brim so everyone can get go back to lead their normal lives and of course, we have learnt not to waste water anymore.
Fear >> the feeling is so scary. And so does Death. My younger cousin brother passed away last month. His autopsy report is not out yet but the family suspected that it could either be a heart attack or high blood pressure. The young lad was only 29 years old. It was so sudden and unexpected.
Secondly, my father was involved in a car accident. He was riding on his motorbike (which I have always disapproved off) and he got hit by a Kancil. THANK YOU GOD, PRAISE TO THE LORD, BLESS YOU GOD – he only have cuts & bruises. Then, the next day, he went up to Penang. He said that his head was throbbing, he only wanted to get his head check once he is back home, which is after a couple of days and this could be very dangerous if he had a concussion or a clot in his brain. And until now, he have not got his head check on yet. I realize that as I get older, the fear of your parents dying unexpectedly is very anxious. All this constant worrying is such a drag. GOD, please do me a favor, I really wish…if it’s possible…that whoever is going away…get sick for a while…maybe a month…then die peacefully in his or her sleep. That way…everyone can get their affairs in order…everyone can spend their last minute family quality time together and say our last goodbyes. Ohh, I am so scarred. My bravery is not what it used to be anymore.
I turned down the below job offer. A little bit of regret on my part and I am angry with myself for it. But now, I am letting it go. It is my own doing after all. My very own fault.
1 day at a time. The first quarter of 2014 have already passed by. Even my this year New Year resolution is to make everyday count. More fulfilled. Making connections with people from my past, present & future. I don’t deny that I am off-track again. So, GOD, please help me by putting me back on the right path.
For the past 9 years, I am single and wedded to my job. I lived and breathed my work. I am not feeling guilty over it. I am happy and I admit it. I enjoyed what I did and didn’t begrudge the demands & stress the job placed on my life. It was my life. I thought as I get older, my priorities would change or more precisely I thought it was time to change my priorities. Why not step out from the rat race, stop stressing around, change jobs, take it easy, go home at 7pm and enjoy the sunset? It hasn’t quite work out that way :) For one thing, I don’t think I am working fewer hours. While the job is hard, stressing over the same routine stress, sometimes, it has its wonderful moments as well…it doesn’t quite compare with the adrenaline rush of keeping tabs on the current sales progress, the satisfaction of a leaflet promotion well done etc. I’m not saying that every day in the office is an exciting day. There are moments, meetings & people that drive you up the wall. But I like the rush, the routine, the stress, the comfort zone :(
My job gives my life purpose, structure and friends. And as I grew older, it is also a shield against dark existentialist thoughts. Besides, our bodies are flushed with good hormones when we take on new tasks, socialized with our colleagues and when we & our team succeed. Sigh…I know…I am so fickle-minded…nonetheless, meanwhile…I’ll continue to be thankful that I still have a job and enjoy it while it lasts.
I know…I am such an idiot…I’m an asshole…I always know how to talk…but never walk my talk…I never have the courage to respond to GOD’s breakthrough for me. Whenever, something big comes my way…I just back off. Now…my strategy is to go through one day at a time and to keeps things simpler. I lost this one good opportunity and I don’t know when the next one will turn up. Nonetheless, THANK YOU GOD, PRAISE TO THE LORD, BLESS YOU GOD – because it reaffirms to me that GOD is there for me and there are new positions that I can take up in the near future, even though the opening ratio percentage is very small.
My Prayer Points were:
(1) GOD, please bless me with a new job >> being a buyer…I know that I can’t be a buyer forever. Buyers; either remain as a buyer, join the suppliers or do their own business. Opportunities to earn are in abundance…however, to switch and to do something totally different, the chances remain very slim. I call up my Headhunter last month, with due efficiency, the Headhunter got me a job with this American company. Even, the Headhunter complimented me that I am ready to move on. This is a very good chance. Everyone will be shock on how I manage to secure this position with this reputable company.
(2) I would like to do analytical, research, management, consultancy & advisory role, and a little bit of branding, communication, marketing, trade marketing & media >> the job description fits in very nicely, even though I may need to meet up with the retail buyers to discuss my proposal.
(3) I want a RM8,000 salary per month >> the company agree, they even provide me with the same handphone allowance as I am getting currently, plus 2 months of contractual bonus, and other very good benefits as well. If Saturday is a public holiday, Friday will be the replacement holiday. If Sunday is a public holiday, Monday will be the replacement holiday. The Headhunter also mentions that it is always the case where the principal company always has the budget and can reward its staffs better.
(4) I want to move up to do corporate communication, corporate strategy, corporate planning & corporate management in the later stage of my career >> I sat for an online test and went for 2 interviews. First, with my future immediate Manager and the second one was with my future Director. They have been with the company for a very long time. But unlike with the previous company that I have work for, where one employee will just sit in one position or in one department forever, in this American company, they move around to learn new things and for personal development.
(5) The furthest I will drive is to Empire Gallery, Subang – this company is situated in PJ, Section 14. Not really that bad after all.
(6) I want the options of being able to work from home or flexible working hours >> the company doesn't have that at the moment. Nonetheless, their working hours are from 8.30am till 5pm is also just fine with me.
And as usual, I did well for the test & interviews, the Headhunter told me that they like my personality and the Manager only commented that I must know how to sell myself well. So, when it comes to the final decision making process – time after time – I failed. I didn’t take up GOD’s blessings. I prayed, GOD provide, I screw everything up. After I have rejected the offer, the Headhunter said that both sides are keen and the Headhunter is trying to make things happen. I said that I am taking up a lot of the projects at the moment (which is true), plus I also don’t want to leave Ursula hanging in the air, even though I know that Ursula can handle it very well, with or without me, and…I just want to have one success story for 2014 before I close the year. I don't want to leave as a loser or a quitter. I want to leave as a champ. I want to try before leaving. I want to see the results; whether it's good or bad. I already told myself that this year will be my last year. Whether I succeed or fail, this will be my final destination. I also didn’t expect the Headhunter to be so efficient. I said that I would like to start the new job on 1st July. The Headhunter said that it is also good for me to settle down everything before I start a new and will try to persuade the company, but there is no news so far…so I guess, the answer is no, tak jadi lor. Padan muka me :( Anyway, who am I for this company to wait for me. They are a big company and I am just a nobody.
Ask and you shall receive. I know, GOD has already granted it to me.
Sigh…now, I also don’t know when the next one will turn up. Right now, I am not going to look for any new job. To get my timing right, to have and to create 2014 success stories – I will start looking for a new job in November because by then, all of the planning has already been done & completed, only the store operations part and the 2015 CNY – by then, Ursula already have the experience to handle everything by herself. I can leave in peace.
OMG – the Brunei Government will ban the use of 19 Islamic words for non-Muslims; including Allah, Masjid, Azan, Fatwa, Imam, Solat, Wali, Mufti etc…the ban will take effect from April :( This is so extreme. Masjid; translated to English is called a Mosque. Therefore, what is wrong or so harmful for us non-Muslims to utter the word Masjid? Why is the society around the world is getting so sensitive and intolerant these days?
OMG – WatsApp message from Ursula – Hi J____, Is your side ok!!! The LadyBug issues please send to D___ and Nancy and please ask them to inform stores to not keep reducing the no of bins. We have to keep our promises all the time. Send to both on behalf of me. Appreciate for the help. Thank you. And also hope things are fine over there. ?
(1) THANK YOU GOD, PRAISE TO THE LORD, BLESS YOU GOD – I SURVIVED this week!
(2) Ursula said that she will call the stores before she leave for her trip, but there was no email from her to me on any of the outcome as well. Cheh, cakap only lah she…but nonetheless, because it’s on a Friday night and on a Saturday (she flew out on a Sunday), I certainly cannot expect her to do much. She probably wrote this text to me after seeing the second email from the supplier.
(3) I did not write to Nancy as per Ursula's instructions because I don’t want to kena tembak balik…after that, buat malu only. Still…I have to cook up a good reason to Ursula on why I didn’t write the email.
(4) I did not reply back Ursula’s WatsApp – I am very busy :)
(5) I am grateful for her concern...but it also shows that Ursula doesn’t trust me in holding my own fort.
(6) I know that I owned her a lot of things…so when she comes back on next week Tuesday…all things would have settled down by then.
I find that this Shawn is very kepo. Ursula is not in for the whole of this week. And I also know that Shawn is one of Ursula’s spy. Shawn has been walking past by my room very frequently for the whole of this week as well. And whenever, Shawn walks by, Shawn will look in and stare into my room…as in trying to see what I am doing…bugger :(
Yesterday, Shawn came into my room, ask me whether I want to join them (Shawn & Sabrina) to visit the USJ store or not. I told Shawn that I cannot come because I have suppliers meeting in the morning and in the afternoon. I would love to join them, if Shawn have told me a day earlier; I could have re-schedule my appointments, be a good team member and be a part of the team. But too bad. In the end, I saw Christy’s room lights were off too and Christy & Sabrina came back up together after lunch…so, I think Christy followed them as well. Sure, this Shawn will report back to Ursula…yeah, I am very anti-social and I cannot blend in with them very well…
I have a suspicious feeling…but it has been confirmed now :) Ursula is away for one week…to Germany…she told me that this trip is one of her supplier’s incentive trip…then, Gerrard have also been on leave since last week Friday as well. Pietro confirmed to me that this got to be their supplier’s incentive trip since the both of them are missing in action. OMG – that means, both Ursula & Gerrard are on vacation together, they sleep together in the same room, they eat their meals together, they went shopping together, they hang out together, they talk together…and knowing that this Ursula likes to talk non-stop; like a parrot…OMG…sure a lot of things will come out from her mouth…sure she will share many information and secrets with Gerrard :(
Poor Pietro. When Pietro used to be under Ursula’s charge, Ursula don’t let Pietro to participate in any of the supplier’s incentive trips. Pietro missed out on the Korean trip (which Mr. Jan Vet, Ursula & Shawn went), the Japanese trip (which Shawn went on behalf) and the Barcelona trip (which Shawn went with Ursula).