Saturday, November 24, 2007

Proud To Be A G2

INSAP – the MCA’s think-tank introduced the concept of 2 distinct groups of Malaysian Chinese; the G1 and the G2. The G1 are Chinese-speaking, Chinese-schooled and comprise 85% of the Chinese population, while the G2 are English-speaking, English-schooled and comprise 15% of the same. The G1 subscribe to the notion of the three pillars of Chinese society – namely Chinese schools, Chinese organizations and Chinese media where as the G2; well, they are the Christians, Peranakans and ‘part of the Lions & Rotary club set’. Malaysian Chinese are comfortable with English & BM, but they lean heavily towards either English, Mandarin, Cantonese or Hokkien. The Chinese are brought up in a Rojak society and the average Chinese speaks four languages during the day:
(1) BM to Malay colleagues.
(2) Mandarin to Chinese colleagues.
(3) English to the Boss.
(4) Dialect (Hokkien/Cantonese) at home with the family.

I’m a G2 :) Both of my parents are G1. As a matter of fact, my Pa graduated from Chung Ling high school; one of the best Chinese school in Penang. I went to a national school for my primary and secondary studies. I speak English with my Pa, Cantonese to my mom and a mixture of English & Mandarin with baby sis.

Having a ‘national’ education, my school mates were a mixture of different races and all of us use the English as a medium to communicate; plus a bit of BM. It was only in college that I manage to brush up my mother tongue as a lot of my friends then was from the Chinese Independent Schools. They always tease me that I’m a 'banana' as I know less about the Chinese culture, heritage and history. My parents didn’t really force me to take up Chinese, therefore the literature, the exposure and the media that I have consumed throughout my childhood, my teens and my adulthood are all western influenced. People assume that just because I love European history, subscribe to western thinking…I desire to be a ‘Mat Salleh’. I don’t! Sheesh…what an assumption.
Sometimes, this upset me very much. Just because my rudimentary understanding of Chinese is shallow, that doesn’t mean that I am less Chinese and not proud of my roots. I am proud of my tradition and skin color just like everyone else. It doesn’t mean that I’m any less Chinese than the next person. I’m just one of those 3rd generations born away from the Middle Kingdom, and I’ve assimilated the local language and culture. I’ve only chosen to focus on a different aspect of history and way of life & thinking to complement my own.
I want my kids to be trilingual or even quadrilingual; speaks fluent English, Mandarin plus a European language or Japanese. A truly global individual.

WorkTales - I’m so confused. I try to sort myself out, and have only ended up more confused than when I began. Next week, I will be going to war. A battle where I will lose.

No comments: