Sunday, April 01, 2012

Ten Thousand Talents


Hello April :)

Oh my gosh…how times flies. March has been a very busy month for me. My March major priorities that eventually spill over to this month April would be my D33 Assortment Review, 2012 Contract Negotiation, Subang Re-planograming & Mid Valley Mars Re-launching. Sometimes I ponder whether I have made the right decision in going back to D33 and staying put with the French. But seriously, until now…I have yet to have the answers to the question. On some certain days, I feel like I have made the right choice…and at certain moments, I feel truly regret. No matter how much I hate this job, at the end of the day, I will still do my best and give my all. That’s my principle. As long as I am still in this position, whenever any tasks that falls on to my desk, I will continue to do the job to the best of my ability. I will continue to be hardworking, always giving my 100%. I have always believed that the destination or the outcome is not that important because my chances are 50 – 50. If it’s good – cool! If it’s not – let’s move on, fine tune or improvise it along the way. What matters most is the journey, the process that will shapes and moulds me as a person.

D33 Assortment Review – as I have done Leisure before, this will be little bit easier for me. But I feel really bad that I have let William doing it independently for the Luggage Category while I have been guiding Henry most of the time. As Henry is pretty new to this, I have been spending more time with Henry until Henry is ready to run the unit by itself. Toys was a major headache for me. Not sure if I have got it right. Seriously, I hate doing Toys. I love all of the cartoons & movies, but when it comes to the Toys, it just doesn't excite me. I just don't go Wow. I'm an outdoor person but I lack passion when it comes to these miniature stuffs. I also don’t have much time in looking into every detail which I wish I could and I must as a Division Manager but I have to learn to trust both William & Henry to use their own wisdom in filtering and making the best choices for our department. And I will use this assignment to judge them whether they are independent, self-reliant, self-sufficient and self-sustainable.

2012 Contract Negotiation – I am way way behind schedule. And I don’t even have the confidence in closing them this month either. When the Top Management took the drastic decision to compact the whole layout, they didn’t take this into their consideration. And now I have to clean up this shitty mess. Not to mention, for the first time ever – I don’t even have an ace card on the negotiating table.

Subang Re-planograming – a lot of my experienced Division Managers & Sales Managers have left, therefore, the current team is raw, inexperience and not sure what to do. They don’t even know how to maintain the elements. They just simply chuck the stocks anywhere they like. So I am very frustrated that whenever my team finishes doing a planogram, the next day the whole element will be in a mess again. Last time, I used to complain that our HQ has a very tedious internal process but we have a very strong operational support that knows how to push the sales, manage the stocks well, maintain the planograms well…but now, it’s like terbalik…we have greatly simplify our own internal procedure, but our store team people are so sucky :( So, we are back to square one.

Mid Valley Mars Re-launching – I have been in the store for the whole day, twice a week for 2 weeks in a row now. Slaving around, being hands-on. I have my own ideas, Juan Carlos have his own ideas. And we have been very critical of each other, exchanging heated arguments all week long. I even told Juan Carlos that I am very doubtful of his ideas, very skeptical whether it will work or not. However, when I put myself in Juan Carlos shoes, I understand his concerns, his problems and his stress. We have brought in a lot of our GSA items and those items have to be highlighted. So I have decided not to be too defensive, I have decided to open my mind, open my heart, open my soul to embrace Juan Carlos ideas. In the first place, Juan Carlos like me is because I am open to new ideas, can accept new changes and is more responsive. In the end, for the final outcome, our chances are 50 – 50. But I have to say that Team Tex did a great job. They have new assets which makes it so outstanding, even better than the Grocery & Fresh Divisions. The assets really attract the customers to walk in to look at the merchandise. But they have the advantage is that they don’t have to deal with their existing stocks. Their consignment suppliers have collected back their stocks and now they have new merchandise from GSA, SCR and Massive which makes their display process easier. I am sure that their sales progression will be positive. 

The above events have been my March shattering lows plus I have to change a car clutch after 14 months which cost a bomb, went shopping twice & actually came home empty-handed and supplier payment reimbursement issues. But I also have my March blissful highs. I knew when it was time to work and when it’s time to celebrate. I watched a comedy theater and a musical comedy theater. And I have also got my bonus. Thank You God, Praise To The Lord, Bless You God – it was way better than last year :)

This month has been an incredibly fortunate and fulfilling one despite all of the busyness. I’ve had my fair share of pain, struggles, stress, frustrations and disappointments. But being where I am today, it has added a new dimension to my lives that I would never have had if I were somewhere else. For that alone, I give thanks to GOD.

So, Yingze – Keep Going :) The year is still young. I have always loved the start of a new year. New beginnings and plenty of hope for the days ahead. One can always hope and dream at the start. At 30 years old, you simply know what life is all about. I am happy to continue with my journey through time.

"We have more possibilities available in each moment than we realize” – Thich Nhat Hanh.

No comments: