Sunday, March 30, 2008

macam inilah - macam itulah

UNITY CONCERT – Skipping Differences For One And All
No Violence. No Drugs. No Alcohol. No Racism.
I feel so out of place…the crowd comprises of high school & college kids with their hands held high, heads pounding and they were outright generous with their cheers.
It was not one of those big-glamorous-‘in’ thing kind of concert; it was a casual concert…but most importantly it provides a platform for the local acts to showcase their talents. Of course some of them were copycats of Linkin Park, Peter Pan and Pussycat Dolls…but there are some with genuine talent. I really enjoyed some of the songs that they churned out. Original and edgy. The performances were great though; even though I have never heard of them before. There’s something very seductive about live performances.
We must support and nurture these homegrown indie talents. Majority of the recording companies in this country are not willing to take the risk to sign them up because they are not ‘mainstream’ enough. The local industry preferred the ‘used-and-tested’ formula. Piracy is also another problem. Some people may say it’s not a big deal, everyone does it (sells it & buys it) and for some, this is the closest they will get to the real thing. Others may say, why spend so much money on the real thing? I was one of them :) Hey, pirated CDs were affordable and were within my pocket allowance range when I was young. As now I’m earning a living, I’ll buy the originals. By buying and carrying these fakes, one is contributing to and endorsing criminal activities. You are not generating income for these bands but to the copycats. Support the originals, understand the artist’s history and get an appreciation of the craftsmanship and dedication at the highest level.
The music blasted on – Rockers & Hip-Hoppers Unite!

I was also struck with the disgraceful realization that I’ve forgotten how to flirt. How to pick up. How to get men to pay for my drinks…ok, I don’t get men to pay for my drinks because I always have the perception that it does not signify my independence. Eye contact with strangers? Fleeting looks from across the rooms, frivolous conversations, a bit of cleavage, body language, signals…Shit, how does it all go again?? I’d be so bad at it. Definitely not like riding a bike. Anyway. It was a great night. It was a breath of fresh air to feel young and irresponsible again. It was exactly what I needed right now :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

eh u pegi to the concert??
cool
one of my friend's punye band main on that concert.. tak tau lu perasan or not

aunty mable's... kinda like classic rock band...