Saturday, August 07, 2010

how geeky of me






When I was a teenager, I loved boybands (it was the rave at that time); the BackStreet Boys, 911, N'SYNC, The Moffatts, Take That and many more boybands where their names are not that so memorable because they die off early in the crowded music market - but my favorite boyband of all time till today's present moment is still BoyZone. That's right. It was true love. Yes, I do know that they are completely unattainable. They were far, far, far beyond my reach and imagination. Meeting them in person...it was clearly an impossible thought.
I loved their vocals (especially Ronan's), their songs, their melodies, the way they dressed, not so much of their dancing though, their hair, their smiles, their personalities. I read up a lot about their songs, their producers, their concerts & tours, their backgrounds, their families, their siblings, their likes & dislikes, which Irish cities they were from, etc. I also collected their posters, magazine snippets from every teenage & girl magazines or newspapers that are available and kept them neatly in a box.
As I could not afford to buy their CDs, I bought all of their tapes instead. I enjoyed every single song in it. There was no one song that I did not like. By the time I reached my college years, I grew out of the BoyZone phase. In fact, I was quite embarassed that I had been utterfly infatuated with them. I began to discover and enjoy real music instead. No more teeny-poppy tunes. So, when my bedroom gets too packed & needed more space, I trashed all of the posters, clippings, except for the tapes of course.
And now, it's been 17 years later, and I'm 28. The boys have grown up, mature, gotten married, have kids, pursue their solo careers and sadly, their co-lead singer Stephen Gately have left us this year...but I still find myself enjoying their songs very much; just like the old times. Especially their new single - Gave It All Away.

No comments: