Sunday, August 01, 2010

Life is short but your here to flower


Work Tales - Yesterday, I celebrated my 2 years anniversary of working with the French. It has been an awesome 2 years for me. I rose above the storm, I race against time, I challenge the odds, I went the extra mile, I dodge the enemies' bullets & missiles, I soar above the valleys, I sink into the deep sea, troubles & problems came looking for me...but Thank You GOD, I survived it all! :) I guess this is a good reminder of all of the good and bad times that I have, the achievements and mistakes that I made before; which puts my life in perspective. And most importantly, it keeps me in touch with my own identity :) It's often a cycle where I find myself going through the same little sequences of stress, horror and then triumphant moments. I don't think I'll ever get tired of it all. I don't denied that my ocassional whine & rant-spree which everyone is probably tired of hearing it by now *giggles* sorry...but yes, I love my job and everything that comes with it.

Moving forward, it will be a very dark, difficult & trying period. I visited one of the English's stores in Shah Alam yesterday; and I was very very impressed. Atticus is back on track. I saw many good developments & improvements already taking place. They have added new POP displays, change their racking assets & planogramming, add-in new assortments, better pricing strategies and definitely; a more trim, compact & focus merchandising approach. I went wow. It's only a matter of time, when they will start to implement the open-space concept like ours. They are good copycats. Sigh. I don't want to compete anymore. It's very tiring. It will only create a price war in the market. That will be even worst. Instead, I will pursue a Differentiation Strategies. If we continue to compete like this, I will surely die. I cannot match the experience, the capabilities & the resources that Atticus have. Regardless of what techniques & tactics that Rodrigo & Atticus will use against me; I am already humble & honour that they see me as a worthy opponent :) This door is already close & seal. No turning back. When the time is right, I will end it on a high note and step down as beautifully as I can :)

I have increased my sales weight participation from 25% averagely to 45% now :) I still have a very long way to go. My ambition is to push it till 50%. Very bold. But I will try.
Last year, I did something new by introducing & reinforcing the Press Ad mechanics. This year, I have accomplished more:
(1) I brought in brands such as BEN 10, HotWheels, Barbie, Bob The Builder, Thomas & Friends as well as the Disney brands in the Sport Wheels category. This is to increase the sales value, upgrade the overall category branding & elevate the image of the overall store.
(2) The Push Car and half of the Bicycle category have already been converted to consignment. No more stock days problems, better volume display to bring out the outstanding visual impact, easier for me to organize roadshow events; which all leads to more sales & margin. Yay.
(3) Introduce & upgrade the Tricycle category; better quality, more vibrant colors.
(4) Home Gym, Elliptical Bike, Flat Bike, Magnectice Bike, Sit-up Bench >> complete range of the Big Fitness category. Partially consignment. Now everyone can open their own mini fitness center or have a complete work-out at home.
(5) Introduce new items: PlayHouse & Kites. The playhouse has been selling like hotcakes. This sku manage to create a very lively & playground-like-environment in D33.
(6) For the FIFA 2010 World Cup Tournament - we are the only ones who carries the official FIFA logo soccer ball.
(7) Brought in OGAWA & AIBI Fitness consignment counters.
(8) Intex Air Mattress (high-end range) have already been converted to consignment.

I'm still in disbelief that I have done all of the above. I feel I've grown 10 years older during my time here with the French. Physically and mentally. *laughs* I can't imagine how old I'll be if I stay here longer. I do not dare to think about it. It's begining to show on my face. *shivers* Now, I have to re-build back D34 :( I think it's time for me to have a heart-to-heart talk with Felix & Snow Petrol.

I may not be the best negotiator in the market, I am not the best buyer in the division, and certainly I am not the best employee in the company...what got me here today is GOD & my attitude - Passion, Commitment, Courage, Honesty, Loyalty. The next step is discovering how to live it right.

No comments: