Sunday, February 13, 2011

Like flexing an old familiar muscle


Attended Maynaga & Arul’s wedding dinner last night at the Klang Executive Club, in Bukit Raja. Amid some disorganization here and there, the event went on smoothly. Well, the dinner was very late, it was suppose to start at 7pm, but it actually took place at 9pm. There were no proper seating numbers, so it was free seating and everyone was just grabbing any tables that were available. Thanks to my Baby Sis’s advice, I was not seriously over-dressed because it’s the KEC after all and they are not the Hiltons. The dinner…was buffet style…so there was a very very long queue, squished between 200+ people and cringing at the poor event coordination. I didn’t even get to go for my second helping...yeah I missed out on the food! The Chinese in me was devastated! :)

Luckily 2 familiar faces (J & Ki) were there to keep me company; or not I would have been bored to death. On FaceBook, everyone said that they will be attending the dinner but in the end, they didn’t turn up. I have to be there because Maynaga is one of my closest friends since primary school and we grow up in the same neighborhood. The gathering was not about exchanging name cards, networking or clinching business deals. We were just there to look back and compare notes, remember our friends and teachers, and have a good laugh over our childhood pranks & catching up on our current activities. It will be a motley crew if the whole gang did showed up. It feels good…getting refreshed in the company of old friends with animated conversations.
Looking back…back in high school, I think I just didn’t fit in anywhere quite well…I mix with everyone but I didn’t have a core group of friends and I was quite happy being a bit of a loner. I was not in the popular girls group or was in the smart girls group. I just go along with everyone. I think my only “regret” was that I didn’t actively get involved with the rest of the high school community. I didn’t join as many clubs, or productions, or committees or anything as I wanted to.

And the bride; beautiful and the bubblyness in her have never subside. She was glowing with happiness all night long. Seeing her, hugging her and catching up with her…everything was worth it. The hunger in her eyes still reflects someone who's raring to go. Nonetheless, it was a small, cozy affair. The kind I like. Just with families and closest buddies. I’ve always believed that a wedding is for the families and friends. To celebrate a new life together with them. But it’s not the wedding that matters. It’s the marriage. Unfortunately, I know so many couples who don’t put in as much effort with their marriage, as they did with their wedding.

No comments: