Wednesday, May 11, 2011

i run KL


I was not the winner. I was not in the Top 5 or in the Top 10 ranking…I am already happy that I actually have finished the whole race without any hiccups and got myself a medal :) I would say that the race was very demanding and challenging physically; we have to run 800 meters uphill before climbing up 2,058 steps to reach to the top level of 288 meters above ground level at Mega View (TH03).

The race officially starts at 8pm…however for our Woman Open Category (18years old – 34 years old), it only starts at 10.30pm. By that time, I was a little bit hungry and sleepy and restless. But once the race begins with a loud pistol bang, my body and my brain automatically charges up. For the 800 meters run, it was an uphill run! Thus, that itself already takes up a lot of my energy at the beginning of the race. I ran halfway and stop because I lost my breath, so I walk all the way until the staircase entrance :) Then I begin to climb the stairs. I was climbing and climbing…didn’t know which storey I was at…as I go up higher & higher, my ears were blocked and I cannot hear anything that clearly. I cannot feel my body, I cannot feel my legs, I cannot feel my heart beating. By the way, during this race, I was also nursing a mild flu. I did make several pit stops to pace myself, to let my heart beat calm down a little because it was beating very hard, fast & strong…I know this physical endurance have put a lot of stress on my body and my heart and I certainly don’t want to have a heart attack and die in this cramp & smelly tower. Finally, I have made it! Woo hoo! Yay! :) E5602 took 47minutes and 14 seconds to finish the race. I admit, it is not really a fantastic time but being able to reach to the top and stare down at the beautiful night view of KL…I felt that I have accomplished something :)

I’m no fitness freak, as some of you might have already known. But, I do enjoy that rush whenever I do something more physical. I also have a confession to make. I hardly ever exercise much. I don’t go to the gym, I can’t swim, I don’t do stretches, nor play any other sports regularly. I didn’t prepare myself much for this towerthon. I just go for my regular weekend jog, and incorporated going up the stairs multiple times to build up my stamina. And in the office, I try to use the stairs more often and as much as possible. Thus, finishing this towerthon is sort of like a big achievement for me. Somehow, this accomplishment is going to spur me to take on other bigger physical activities with the right preparation of course :)

No comments: