Sunday, July 15, 2012

Dear Smart Diary









Work Tales – my first store visit. Leonardo led a team of 4; we took a flight and flew to Alor Setar, then all the way heading up North; stopping at Sungai Petani, Kulim & Bayan Baru. And I love the above aerial view; the journey from the Subang old Airport to the Alor Setar Airport. The Shah Alam & Subang city view is impressive; all of the neat buildings lining up side by side indicatse how far my nation have progress over the years and the padi fields remind me of my country’s original roots where we were born from an agriculture country to an industrialized nation. Plus the coastal view of the South China Sea. And look at the Firefly Airplane with its propeller from the outside. Looks so old school :)

It was a tiring day trip where we move around a lot. I get to see different store format and now my major concern will be the assortment strategies. Seriously, Jonas has set some very good benchmarks and also has made some poor judgments. Jonas has been in this department for 8 years. And I realized that whenever Jonas listed in something new, there was nothing that was out. Thus, a lot of the old assortments is very scattered, accumulated and cannibalizing each other. I rather play on the supplier’s strength. If the supplier's core business is paper, then let the supplier do the paper category then, do not let them jump into pens or writing materials categories. Let’s consolidate the sales of everyone and ensure that all of the suppliers have their own share of the pie as well. I know that Leonardo is very protective of Jonas; saying that it could be discontinue stocks…I agree but isn’t it discontinue stocks needs to be clear from the home bay as well. Then there is also the consignment suppliers…they are too scattered and not being consolidated. Whatever it is, the past is already the past. I don't want to blame Jonas. Anyway, Jonas have more experience then me. Jonas knows better. I have to move forward.

Nonetheless, I will continue to power through. I also need to manage Leonardo’s & everyone expectations of me. I will try to contribute more to the discussions and resolution of issues. This week is already my fourth week and I hoped that I can come into my own, settling down well and dazzle everyone as I enter my fifth week :)

No comments: