Sunday, July 08, 2012

Twice Upon A Time





Tioman Island - before I started work with G13 on the 18th June, I went for an island holiday for 4 days :) Again, the first 6 months of this year, I am indeed very blessed because I have 2 vacations to go to.

The island holiday was truly fantastic - an exquisite bay, a crystal clear lagoon, a deserted beach (because it was a low-peak season), strong & steady wind and coral reef rock pools teaming with shells, clams, starfish, crabs, fish, slugs. Every crevice was exploding with colors and movement. The beach was littered with amazing aquatic treasures - broken corals, cute pebbles, sparkling shells and beautiful rocks.

I even went snorkeling :) I can’t swim; even with a life jacket strapping me in, I was still in panic mode, kelam-kabut and grabbing anyone to float on. But later on, as I have learned to relax and the situation was much better and under control. The snorkeling experience was indeed magical…am now contemplating to sign up for swimming classes and later on to take up a scuba-diving license :)

Everything was simple and slow-moving on the island. No frills. Back to basics. We don’t even have water heater. Natural cold water from the highland waterfalls. There were a few things to get used to. No air-condition. No shops. No TV. Just the beach & the sea. Before I left the jetty to return back to Mersing, a part of me felt heavy. I hope that the government will retain the place as it is. No more further developments. To think that perhaps in 10 years time, there might be another 5 star resort, a multitude of visitors, a barren tourist beach, speed boats and all this natural settings could be gone. A mind boggling thought.

1 comment:

fallen_again said...

This is almost the same experience i had when i went to pulau perhentian a few weeks ago... awesome right... next year i'll be going to tioman... well at least i hope to lah... work is crazy these days