Sunday, December 16, 2012

Raised Wild


When people ask me my age – which I answer back triumphantly; 30 :)
Marital Status – which I answer back bravely; single :)
I’ve grown accustomed to such questions now. However, based on their reactions, I don’t know if it stems from curiosity, wonder, pity or perhaps even envy. Maybe it’s a combination of everything. But this doesn’t bother me at all. These days, it’s not that uncommon to stumble across single women over the age of 30.

We all have our reasons – some love their jobs so much that if they could marry them, they would. Others prefer to wait until they find someone really suitable, while some claim that the timing was just not right, others chip in that they want to accomplish a few things from their bucket list before taking the plunge or perhaps upon deeper reflection, it was a case of jodoh belum sampai. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps, I leave that to GOD. HE; I believe knows what’s best for me.

For me, the best thing about being single is freedom. I’m not obliged to answer to a man and I don’t have to worry how my decisions may affect him. I can make my plans at a moment’s notice without consulting him. In short, I can be selfish :) Being on my own means that I have to be independent and responsible for my own actions. Knowing that I can take care of myself is very satisfying. It builds character and boosts my self-worth. Singlehood makes it easier for me to do things that I’d like to do. I just need to push myself and see how far I can stretch my capabilities. When the possibilities are endless, everything boils down to you having the courage to overcome your fears and shine. I always say – Ride The Rollercoaster and Smile At The Store :)

Nonetheless, not every single day is a sunny day for the singleton. There will come a time (which already arrives for me), when loneliness creeps in. It comes without warning, scaring the daylight out of you. Big L is a lurker, I tell you. He pounces on you when you least expect it. A few years ago, when most of my girlfriends had settled down, I have the tendency to shy away from gatherings attended by couples. The thought of being Bridget Jones ‘All By Myself’ was too much for me :) In the end, I realized that I was being very silly. No one asked when I was going to settle down and I didn’t have to ask them when they were going to have a baby / another baby. These days, many of my friends have uploaded their happy family pictures on Facebook, when this happens; I simply share pictures of my adventures :)

But things aren’t all that bad. I’m learning to make new friends and I also have wonderful friends who seem more than happy to have me around, be it at social or family gatherings. Sure, once in a while they will ask me ‘how’s the love life going?’ – to which I cheerfully reply that I will work on it. They take the hint and move on to the other things. All in all – I’m happy to live vicariously through friends & cousins who are mothers or fathers while enjoying my freedom and independence. I’m grateful. Until someone decent comes along, I shall enjoy my singlehood and just go with the flow.

Life is fragile, life is precious - MAKE IT GREAT :)  

1 comment:

Maha Setareh said...

like your blog and style of writting :)