Friday, February 08, 2008

Mr. Moves Like A Plank


Here are the things that I really like about Chinese New Year:

1) The AngPaus! My Pa’s family in Penang is quite huge, and I've got 9 aunties and uncles on my Mum's side. It’s really a hoot! :)

2) The food…Penang has the best food selection in Malaysia, ever! Plus they are cheap and authentic.

3) The beauty of the fireworks and the sound of the firecrackers… :)

4) The Reunion Dinner where family members help out with setting up, making food and serving drinks.

5) The delicious mouth-watering cookies + prawn crackers!

**My grandma is back from Perth and she is celebrating the New Year with us here in KL this year.
She is such an adorable and lovely old lady. She’s got such a happy spirit – happy to be surrounded by her huge family, so happy to be up and about, cooking, celebrating, eating, giving away the angpaus. She’s been without my grandpa for more than 10 years now, yet she still radiates strength and smiles. She always teases me that I’m a pure blood Hokkien girl, yet cannot speak Hokkien. I feel a little bad about it. But not bad enough to actually learn the language :) I can only mutter a few words in Hokkien.
In the midst of her humble wealth – good health (she’s 88 this year), surrounded by a loving family and a beautiful garden – I find myself aspiring to be just like her when I’m at that age.

No comments: