Sunday, November 20, 2011

I'm All In One

Yesterday, I had a quiet lunch all by myself at Delifrance, Mid Valley. Delifrance is a bakery company that serves French style bakery products, coffee & full set western meals and they are one of the pioneer cafes that started very early in Malaysia before the emergence of StarBucks, Dome, Coffee Bean, Old Town Kopitiam, Uncle Lim’s etc. Lately, there are just so many eateries around with a wide varieties of choices. The food & beverage market is so competitive these days. Some manage to stand strong, others is losing their footing.

I know some people have problems eating alone. They look at me funny when I chirpily announce that I had the most amazing lunch alone. I love eating by myself especially if it’s breakfast or lunch. It gives me the chance to slowly go through my to-do list or work list in my brain, plan out what to do when, not have to talk (except to myself in my head) and really concentrate and taste my food as I’m spooning it into my mouth. You’d be surprised how good the food tastes when you take the time to appreciate it, to notice its color and texture, and put 100% concentration into what you’re eating :) Plus, it's good for the digestion too.

I sat there and ate my meal slowly and leisurely. Jasmine Tea with Steak & Mushroom pie. I browsed through the Jusco magazines and the ToysRus catalogue from cover to cover. I enjoyed the busy hum of the restaurant. And most of all I enjoyed the sheer quiet of my personal space – no one nagging at me, no complaining, no rush. Just me and my own thoughts. It was divine :) All of my grieving issues has just disappeared :)

1 comment:

c said...

Hmm...yeah. I used to feel like eating alone is a bit weird. I still feel awkward if it's dinner though. Nowadays I don't mind so much if it's lunch. Heh heh. I do it to get away from the office madness! It's good to get away and chill before going back to it again.

I miss Delifrance! I like the chicken mayo croissant!