Sunday, October 09, 2011

my sun & shield

People and suppliers are very curious & surprise that I didn’t take over Celtic’s place after Celtic has left. The reason that I didn’t want to step into the Division Manager position is because I am not ready yet. The reason that I didn’t want to take up Celtic’s portfolio is because I didn’t want to compete with Celtic, I want to move away from Celtic’s shadow, I want to develop my own niche in the retail market and also knowing that, since Celtic is so close with these suppliers…it will be a disadvantage for me to be in this business. These suppliers have been with Celtic since day 1…since the M13 days. That's why they are very close. I know for sure that whatever I do here, every single move that I make…the suppliers will bound to report back to Celtic. Even if the suppliers are ethical enough on not to share sensitive information with Celtic, but knowing Celtic very well...Celtic will get the answers one way or the other. This is because Celtic knows our inside operations too well and Celtic have already build a strong bond & trust with these suppliers, thus already created a very significant impact on them. And, we as human beings will have favoritism and this is where Celtic will gain because the supplier will tend to side Celtic. Even Mrs. Simon was smart enough on not to enter Celtic’s territory. Initially, Mrs. Simon was supposed to take over Celtic’s portfolio…but I guess after seeing how the suppliers tend to be in Celtic’s comfort zone…dictate that we must follow Celtic's old way of doing things...Mrs. Simon decline the offer...it is going to be a very heavy task to get the suppliers support…it’s like moving mountains and it is a very time consuming process. Even the newcomer; Azreen who replace Celtic already find it difficult in her first week here. I foresee that the only trick to get out of this mud hole is to work with the suppliers that Celtic is not align with.

I am not here to replace Celtic and I would be wrong to try that. Celtic was the best player in Team Baz and one of the top buyers in today’s hypermarket retail industry. I have no aim to become that. My target is simply to try to reach my highest level as an individual and to help the team. If I try to be equal to or be better than Celtic, I would be confusing myself. We’re different personalities with a different style. I must find my own way to do well for the team. The pressure and comparison is definitely there for sure. It’s in our human nature to compare and to critic. I just don’t want to be a Trainee Division Manager with the big title but an empty shell in it. However – knowing myself very well - if it's meant to be, it's meant to be. I'm at peace with whatever the plan is. People said I’ve changed much. Well, here’s the truth – I grew up. I stopped letting people push me around all the time. I learned that you can’t always be happy. I accepted reality.

'A man is happy so long he chooses to be happy and nothing can stop him' - Alexander Solzhenitsyn

No comments: