Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Taking Calculated Risks




What is the worst that can happen?
I was afraid that I would:
Make a fool of myself.
Be asked questions I didn’t know how to answer.
Be kicked out from the office.
Be embarrassed.
Be told that I was wasting everyone’s time.

What is the likelihood of this happening?
Be realistic. The fear may distort your objectivity. Often you will find the likelihood to be small.

If this did happen, could I live with the outcome?
If yes, go for it. If no, then strategize another plan. I decided yes, I could live with the fact that I will be embarrassed. I wouldn’t enjoy it, it would be uncomfortable and emotionally painful but I could live with it. I would learn from my mistake and not make it again. Did this experience leave me alive? Yes. Was it uncomfortable? Extremely. Did I learn from it? Yes, I was better prepared moving forward.

What am I afraid won’t happen?
Sometimes we fear what won’t happen as much as what will happen.

What are the benefits to my not taking the risk?
It’s comfortable at this current comfort zone. No pain.
I don’t have to think much. I can do my job on automated pilot.
I’m making enough money to get by.
If I try something new, I might fail.
I’m at the top of the heap right now.
If I try something now, I could fall on my face.
I’m too old to change.

What are the benefits to my taking this risks?
I would learn new skills.
I will feel better about myself because I’m trying something outside my comfort zone.
I could be wildly successful.

Anything that comes up in your life that will be to your betterment, say Yes to it immediately. Don’t think about how uncomfortable you will be or that you’ve never tried this before or that you don’t think you can do it.

No comments: