Saturday, January 07, 2012

the adventure is OUT there

Happy New Year! HAPPY NEW YEAR because we are WELCOMING a new and better year filled with lots of love, peace, happyness and joyous moments ahead! I'm looking forward to just having a really good 2012 and soaking in all the lessons that I have learned in 2011. Time passes way way too quickly. I wish I could replay the entire year to have a clearer picture of everything that has happened to me and all of the things that I have done. I hate to admit that I probably would have done a lot differently in certain events though. But there is no point on holding on to the past, let's move forward. Don't let my past steal my future :)

My first New Year day starts with a family lunch in Menjalara, Kepong where my fifth aunty decide to have an official house warming meal together. Because the Chinese New Year is just around the corner, we started our lunch with Lo Hei – which is a celebration where everyone gathers around a special raw fish salad called Yu Shang. Everyone stands up, grabs a pair of chopsticks & uses their chopsticks to help toss the salad mixture together, lifting up the ingredients as high as possible, as a symbol of great prosperity in the New Year. With each toss, we each say some words of blessings and good luck. Like good health for everyone, a prosperous year ahead or achievements with every step…all spoken in Mandarin or Cantonese, of course. It’s very fun and meaningful. And the end result is delicious! Just like a good crunchy salad. If we are lucky, most of the mixture stays within the plate at the end of this ritual, but sometimes the tossing can get a little too high and too messy and most of it would end up on the table instead. Hahaa...

No comments: