Thursday, July 27, 2017

My Keys to Successful Career Transitions




I am endlessly curious. I love to learn. I can talk…and talk and talk…but I really love listening and learning more.

I do not see failure as fatal. I do not see success as forever. I fail every single day.

I think business is a fascinating puzzle, and I like a good puzzle.

I am an optimist. I ended the day after I was fired (sorry…”reorganized out of a job”) pretty sure that better things was going to come along. And it did.

I’ve developed pretty thick skin. No, I didn’t like being criticized in the press at certain points in my career any more than the next gal, but I think it’s a pretty small price to pay to get to do such interesting things.

I’ve built a strong network over the years. I try to help my connections as much as I can; and in return, they have been generous in helping me each step along the way.

I know what I’m not good at (processes…yuck; legal documents…..shoot me now), and I fill my team in to offset my flat sides….and theirs. It always amazes me how a great person on the team makes magic. As a result, I give the stars all kinds of rope.

I mentor younger professionals. Which means that they reverse mentor me. I am flabbergasted by how many in my age cohort are perfectly satisfied to stay in their knowledge comfort zone.

I recognize that career transitions are increasingly as much about playing defense as offense. The pace of change in business is so great that career transitions will become the norm rather than exception. And the biggest career risk you take may be standing still. So might as well get ahead of it.

And change is fun.

And we are all fortunate that we have been given opportunities that so many others haven’t.

No comments: