Monday, March 30, 2015

We Are Not Saved From Hurt

We are seeing that the answer our prayers receive is not always the answer our hearts desire. One preacher has said – He who asks God for light must not complain if the light scorches at times with its fierce and naked heat, and he who asks for guidance must not be surprised if God points him to paths he would rather not tread.

Oliver Wendell Holmes says that it is a rule which admits of few exceptions that when people ask for your opinion, they really want our praise. God will not deal with us like that. God will not save us from getting hurt – if that pain is part of His purpose for making us better.

We see that principle illustrated in the story of the rich young ruler. He said to Jesus – Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life? And Jesus said – Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me. The young man delighted in his wealth. It was the most important thing in his life. That is why Jesus asked him to put it on one side. The first place in any person’s life is God’s place. The answer the rich young ruler got was not the one he wanted, but it was certainly what he needed. The account says that he became very sad. He got his answer – but failed to received it.

O God, forgive me that so often I am like this young ruler – I ask for light, but when it comes I am not ready to receive it. Lord, teach me to pray – and also to receive. In Christ’s name I ask it. Amen.

No comments: