Sunday, December 08, 2013

BIG Appetite in a small world

I seriously don’t know how a work-related conversation with Ursula can lead to this:

Ursula asks me to analyze Pietro & Alice sales, stock value and margin figures. What they are doing well. What they are not doing well. Why their sales goes up? Does their current stock value justify their sales? Why is their weekend margin drop? Actually, I sense that Ursula wants me to spy on them :) OK…if I take this positively, actually, I am learning on what type of strategies that they are applying for their respective portfolio.

Then, Ursula touches on Celtic. Ursula was spot on! Celtic used to have two assistants. After the re-structuring excercise, Celtic no longer has the extra pair of hands to help her out. Celtic is very egoistic. Celtic is too proud to ask for help. Celtic is suffering because of it. Celtic is slacking on the job. Celtic is not pushing the department sales like before. The stocks are not in, previously it will conquer the whole store selling floor, buying income is also down. Leonardo is not Celtic’s favored superior. I remembered during the transaction period, the first few weeks – Celtic complains Leonardo the most. Celtic and I have shared many Directors and Managers who govern us before, from our M13 days to the recent French administration – Celtic have criticize and grumble on Leonardo’s attitude, leadership and common sense the most compare to the rest of the superiors that we used to have. Celtic only listens and buy into Marcus’s instructions. Imagine…Ursula analyze all of this based on the sales figures – which measure the buyer’s performance. I pretend to be impressed again. Ursula wayang again – maybe to a certain extent, it’s true, but I think the actual fact is that Ursula has spies in the office that collects back information for her. Who is he? Or who is she? Or who are they? Ursula also has a very sharp eye at observing people, so I am not surprise if Ursula just scrutinizes people's expressions, body language and the tone of the voice. Now I am wondering, is there a possibility that my room or phone is also being bugged. Nonetheless, I know that trust is being built here. I told Ursula that this conversation is between the two of us and I also gave a gesture of zipping my mouth. Ursula also mentions that she hears that I share everything with Celtic. I just commented that it was an impression that everybody has that I shared with Celtic everything and Celtic shares with me everything. I will use my wisdom to filter on what needs to be said. One thing for sure – I left Ursula’s room knowing that I am being watched. No wonder, at times when I get close or laugh out loud with Barry, Marcus or Leonardo – Ursula doesn’t seem to quite like it or either way, maybe she is jealous :)

Ursula also gave me a very important feedback loop. I actually pursue this feedback. I told her since she is so clever to analyze Celtic based on the figures, than I am really curious on how she analyzes the person who is behind the stationery’s figures :) Ursula commented that when I conversing with people, I need not talk so fast, I just need to listen, digest it and come back to it later. Don’t fix everything so quickly. Noted. I am also aware of this problem. And I will try to improvise on it. Ursula also commented that I am actually a very smart person. Hahaha…I know where I stand. Ursula wayang only…I have to re-start, re-group and go again. Talking is a wonderful release. Once you have the spotlight, it is easy to keep going. Silence is your enemy and it needs to be filled. But ask yourself, why am I talking? Perhaps other people have something to add. What is their experience? What can you learn from them? If your mind & voice don’t quiet down, you will never get the answers to these questions. This is what Ursula has pointed out earlier on to me. That I don’t know how to ask questions and draw answers to grow my business. A conversation is like a tennis game. Hit the ball over the net, pause, the other person hits it back. Hopefully with a little spin, an edge, sharpness, a bit of humor or wisdom. Every so often, something completely new will happen. Hit it, they hit it back and forth. Ideas get stimulated, perspective change. I read somewhere that as a general rule, if there are 2 people, each person should do 50% of the talking. But if someone dominates 100% of the conversation, something isn’t right. If you’re the 100%, just stop it. Wait. Maybe something interesting will fill the silence. Don’t be afraid of the silence. It gives you time to stop and consider, to absorb. Let your brain filter what your ears have heard. Look around the room and see the people you are with. What do their faces tell you? What did they hear when you spoke? If the silence doesn’t end, ask questions. Imagine you’re interviewing them. What just happened in their life? Find out what it’s like to be them. Ask for a story, for their experience. Draw them out, listen to what they say and respond accordingly. It’s hard work, all this listening. It demands all your attention. Listen to the people around you, with your ears and your eyes. You will be amazed of what you hear. It was a gem discovering this :) A career is a marathon indeed.

Again, Ursula asks me whether I want to swap department or not. I told her honestly that I buy all of her answers, logic and rationality when it comes to work, but not this one. She also briefs me that we will have a new team member soon. The second re-structuring is already happening where Barry will no longer be park under The General but under Mr. Horton. I don’t want to think too much about the future in G13. I prefer to think more about the present. When the present is good, when you are happy and motivated to do things well, then you are less worried about the future. In my head, I always think that I can improve. My ambition is always to be better. Perhaps I can reach a level that is hard to beat, but I always think that I can improve in everything; provided with a good mentor with a good guidance. I learn something new from Ursula every day. She is no different from Iron Butterfly, Rufus, Stewart…they share the same philosophy – where they want their teams to take control of the business, by keeping possession and to dominate the game.

No comments: