Sunday, December 08, 2013

Shop Sui

LADYBUG – this is the children books supplier that gave me a very big headache the other day. I remembered, during my job interview with Leonardo – Leonardo asked me whether I know this supplier or not. I said yes, I heard of this supplier before, gave a lot of problems to all of the buyers, this supplier is also very famous for bringing up issues to the highest level of all (when the problems cannot be solved at the buyers level). I was very curious on why Leonardo asks me such a question. Rupa-rupanya, it is because Leonardo cannot handle and control this supplier. Now, I am very impressed. Within half an hour – Ursula have settle the problem which Leonardo cannot or refuse to. Ursula uses logic and rationality.

(1) Ursula starts off the email by acknowledging that we need to help this supplier to push up the sales. If GHKD Stationery sales is rank number 1 and this supplier’s sales in GHKD is rank at number 15, thus this indicates that there is potential sales opportunity that the supplier have miss out. See, how this Ursula uses the figures to identify business opportunities...see the types of reports that she runs to get a clearer picture.

(2) Ursula also proposes to do in-house promotion for 2 weeks on children activities books, cook book etc. Or flat price books (1 price point per bin) at the cashier check-out bins. Or weekend sales (Friday, Saturday & Sunday) on old magazines / books. Of course, these are subject to store's space availability, the stores will have to provide the bins and suggest to work on 5 – 8 outlets each time.

Seriously, knowing that the stores are having space constraint at the moment, I know that these are not feasible – but at least Ursula (she also wayang-lah) knows how to pacify the supplier, willing to talk and communicate and understand the supplier’s views. Unlike Leonardo, who brushes everything off. Like Celtic said, if I also know how to play the game correctly, plus with Ursula’s voice at the store level – this department can be saved. And I may have an easier life. It is better being in Ursula’s good shoes than in her blacklisted list.

No comments: