Sunday, December 15, 2013

earn it square




Press Ad – Double A A4 Paper – Mydin: RM9.90, Tesco: RM9.90, GIANT: RM9.89. Yup, we won the price war :) Ursula has her air muka intact. Initially, I wanted to sell at RM10.99. But then Ursula said that we should sell at the price that our competitors are selling. Then, Ursula gave me an idea that we should drop the price by 1 cent cheaper – just to look at how our competitors will re-act, to test the market and also to see how the department margin will be compromised further. It will do no harm to go down on the margin over the weekend if we can gain back the sales. Ursula has also been experimenting with a lot of items as well. I guess, I should be more open, more receptive and more adventurous. I’m holding myself back too much. I need to develop and grow other items into potential key drivers as well. After the Double A Press Ad incident, The English no longer start to advertise their stationeries items on Friday, instead they are going for a Saturday or Sunday Press Ad to counter re-act on my Friday (till Sunday) Press Ad. I am not sure whether our strategy and pricing have impacted The English or was it just a pure case of coincidence.

Nonetheless, I find that the overall stationery department in the market is not healthy and sustainable. Practically, all of the modern trade retailers have to throw away prices or gain a slightly lower margin to push up their sales. Credits have to go back to Tommy for making The English’s a paper destination. Meanwhile, I still have a very long way to go. Thank You GOD, Praise To The LORD, Bless You GOD that I manage to close November on a positive note. But for this month, it looks very far-fetch. I’ve got a feeling that it’s even worst than last year. The market is so slow and looks unresponsive. My suppliers say that the sales will only peak up after the Christmas holidays…sigh…I think it will be too late by that time. I don’t think that 6 days can generate that sufficient amount of sales value to beat LFL last year. Then, whatever sales that are being capture in January, will be locked in for 2014. Sigh :(

On another hand, Celtic’s had an indent storage box advertise @ RM11.99. Tesco: RM11.90. Celtic says that Leonardo lost face. First and foremost, Celtic wants to drop the price further but Leonardo refuses after consulting Marcus. Then the supplier guarantees both Marcus & Leonardo that only G13 will have the stocks, no one else will have it…mana tahu…The English have it too. Leonardo actually snaps the Press Ad picture for Celtic. Hmm…Leonardo also never that kan cheong with the Stationery Department before.

No comments: