Monday, February 03, 2014

Wriggling, Rattling, Reaching




Happy Australia Day :) It falls on the 26th January every year and yes…I am very late with this year post. Last year, I did a tribute to my alma mater – Murdoch University. And for this year – I am paying tribute to Thornlie. This is where I reside throughout my 2 years of studies there. My grandaunt has a lovely house over there (in a cul-de-sac area), I stayed with her together with my grandma. My neighbors were my uncle & his family.

Thornlie is a large outer suburb of Perth, the state capital of Western Australia, Australia, located 18 kilometers south-east of the city's central business district. It is part of the City of Gosnells local government area. The Canning River runs through the northern side of the suburb. Since the 1950s, the suburb has developed in approximately five stages; north-east Thornlie (1950s-60s), south Thornlie (1970s-80s), Crestwood (1970s), Castle Glen (1980s) and Forest Lakes (1990s). The percentage of residents born overseas (39.4%) is greater than both the national (27%) and metropolitan (31.3%) average. 11.3% of the residents were born in England; 3% in New Zealand and a significant smaller percentages are from Malaysia, India and Scotland. 14% of the residents speak a language other than English at home. Unemployment (3.4%) is lower than the regional average (3.7%) and socio-economic disadvantage less than the City of Gosnells as a whole. Weekly household incomes are characterized by a lower proportion of both low and higher income households compared with the Perth average. There are no major differences between the religious affiliation of Thornlie and the Perth region as a whole. The dominant religion is Catholicism (22.4%) followed by Anglicanism (19.5%), Islam (4.6%) and Buddhism (3.5%). Since 2001 there has been a mild decline in the number of Catholics and Anglicans and a small increase in the number of Muslims. It is a very nice suburb, surrounded by many greens. Transportation & logistics are very well connected and it is easy to get to the other nearby suburbs of Kenwick, Maddington, Huntingdale, Langford & Beckenham.

We used to get our Asian food from this place called Spencer Village. Groceries shopping were done at Forest Lakes Shopping Centre, Spencer Village Shopping Centre and Thornlie Square Shopping Centre. I will take the bus to Uni, we attended Sunday mass at a nearby church, one of our neighbors was a young couple from Subang Jaya where I make a good acquaintance with the wifey (unfortunately, I have lost contact with her)…it’s wonderful :) I love my time there. It’s true what people say, that home is where the heart is. My heart is definitely right here at home at that time.

No comments: