Sunday, June 09, 2019

Four Ps for the Future of the Class of 2019




Perseverance
It’s pretty well-known that while I was at UT I started a business. It was growing exponentially, and at the time, it felt to me like college was a distraction. Real life, I thought, was out there and I couldn’t wait for it.

But in a world that so often doesn’t wait, today’s students should be proud for taking the time to finish what they started. It took me a lot longer than four years to learn the value of patience and perseverance that they have shown.

All of this year’s graduates have worked hard and prevailed. What they gained by completing the degree will be indispensable “out there” because commencement is just the beginning. We are at the cusp of big changes in our world. Enabled by technology, these graduates will have unprecedented power to shape the future.

Potential

I find it impossible to overstate technology’s potential for good, even with the risks that come along with it.

We know the role technology plays in empowering us—in enabling us to improve our own lives—and we’ve seen how it empowers others around the world. The democratization of technology over the past few decades has helped to drive a huge increase in human progress, but it also comes with risks. I believe we have a responsibility to help ensure that the next generation of even more powerful technology reflects our humanity and our values – and this is a mission that our graduates can and must carry forward.

People

Which brings me to the other reason I’m optimistic about technology: I know that technology alone doesn’t solve problems. People do. And I have faith in people.

Technology itself is neutral. It’s neither good nor bad. It learns from us. So the behaviors we expect from ourselves and those around us as we leverage technology will ultimately be reflected back at us.

That’s why I believe it is vital to embrace people, opportunities and ideas through diversity and inclusion. Because when we all bring our unique perspectives and talents together, we can solve big problems. Today’s young people have the passion to break through barriers and create a level playing field where everyone can participate and contribute.

Promise

Technology not only needs to do new things but do the right things. This, you might say, is humanity’s source code.

But living up to that code is hard. It’s going to demand that today’s graduates step up and take risks. As I looked out over the now former students at UT, I knew we were in good hands. The coming generations have the drive to align their work with a greater purpose, and the ambition not only to succeed, but to serve.

As I said to the class of 2019 at UT Commencement, the world needs their talents now. The world needs each and every one of them now. And not just at UT, but every graduate, every young person who is just starting out, has the ability to contribute to a better world.

No comments: